My favorite recipe for a crispy, sturdy cookie that retains its shape. It’s a reliable base for icing decoration, and jam thumbprint cookies.Instagram
No-spread Lemon-y Shortbread Cookie DoughCourse: CookiesDifficulty: Easy
This recipe is based on Paper Street Parlour’s No-Spread Shortbread Cookie Dough.
3 sticks or 345g room temperature unsalted butter for a sturdy cookie, or 4 sticks or 460g for a more tender cookie (see “notes”)
198g granulated sugar
56g powdered sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla paste or extract
6-8 drops lemon oil
2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Dry Ingredients
600g all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
- Add flour, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Cream butter and both butters for 2-3 minutes on low and medium-low speed with paddle attachment until fluffy and pale in color.
- Add eggs, one at a time with the mixer running on low. Then add vanilla paste, lemon oil, and zest. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add dry mixture, all at once, and mix on low and medium-low speed just until combined. Be careful to not over mix.
- Turn dough onto plastic wrap, or into a container to refrigerate overnight (4 hours minimum).
- Knead, roll, cut, and return cookie dough on baking sheet to fridge or freezer until firm.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. If you’re looking for a more tender cookie, remove from oven. If you need a sturdier cookie, rotate the sheet, and bake for another 3-5 minutes until edges are starting to turn a golden brown.
- I recommend 4 sticks of butter for jam thumbprint cookies with a 15 minute bake time: these result in a tender, butter-y cookies. For a sturdier and crunchy texture, use 3 sticks of butter with a 20 minute bake time.