Happy birthday confetti sugar cookies for my sister and brother-in-law 🥳 A classic, chewy sugar cookie with a hint of almond.Instagram
Confetti Sugar CookiesCourse: CookiesDifficulty: Easy
This recipe is based on Life, Love & Sugar’s Best Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies.
- Mixing Bowl
224g or 2 sticks of unsalted butter
180g or 1 scant cup granulated sugar
28g or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
½ teaspoon almond extract, optional *
- Dry Ingredients
358g or 2¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup rainbow sprinkles (optional)
- Equipment Used
Full-size baking sheet
Large cookie scoop (1½ tablespoon capacity)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment, and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy. You should be able to see the change in color happen and know it’s ready.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or a large bowl using a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light in color and fluffy: about 1 minute.
- Add egg to the mixture, and mix on medium until just combined. Add vanilla paste and almond extract, and continue to mix on medium for another 30 seconds until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is just combined: do not over mix. Add sprinkles. Use a rubber spatula to help it come together to form a more cohesive ball.
- Create 1½ tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough. Set the balls on the baking sheet, with 2-3 inches between each dough ball.
- Bake cookies for 11-13 minutes. The cookies will spread and the centers will appear soft, but not raw. Remove cookies from the oven just before the edges begin to turn golden: for the soft, chewy texture, be careful to not overbake. The cookies will be a little puffy when removed from the oven, but will fall a bit as they cool.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 4-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use 1 teaspoon of almond extract if a more almond-forward flavor is desired, and reduce vanilla down to 1 teaspoon for a 1:1 ratio.